Wyoming MIECHV Parents as Teachers offers qualifying families of young children the opportunity to take part in parenting education programs within the comforts of their home or other convenient location. The goal is to provide information, encouragement and resources that parents need to help their children develop to their fullest potential during their critical early years of life. Programs focus on pregnant women and families with children birth to age 3. Professionally trained home visitors partner with parents to learn individual family needs and provide developmental screenings, parenting advice and guidance and community referrals. Materials and activities are research-based and promote optimal child development to prepare children to succeed in school and life.
There is no cost for the program and participation is voluntary. Years of evaluation, research and data collection show that strong home visiting programs promote:
- healthy pregnancy outcomes
- early identification of health and development delays
- parenting skills and family relationships
- reducing problem behaviors, delinquency and alcohol and drug abuse in children and child maltreatment
- social competencies, school readiness and performance